Thursday, June 16, 2016

New Help with Veteran's History Project at Library of Congress

HELLO Rod,
Fantastic, look forward to meeting with you Rod. I have a lot of interviews I need some help with, but my worst problem is the almost inaudible video from the last survivor of the Merrill's Marauders in Burma.    
  Yours truly, Ron
Hi Ron--
I'd be glad to work with you.
I'm out of the country now, but will contact you when I return -- the last week in June.
Rod Gragg



 Hello Mr. Gragg, My name is Ron Alexander. I am a volunteer at VA Hosp. in Charleston. I have been interviewing some veterans for the Veterans History Project at Library of Congress. I interviewed one James White at the Anderson Lakes Nursing Home in Conway. He is a 96 year old vet. who may be the last remaining survivor of the Merrill's Marauders in Burma. I have volume problems with the interview. The activities director there told me that you interviewed him previously. Could you help me with your interview, and together get a package together for the Library of Congress.
In addition, being a former resident of that area, I have two possible volunteers who want to get involved. An Airborne Vietnam Vet.. and his wife. There are five WW11 vets. in that area, who are available for interviews. I would be very grateful if we could cooperate on this matter.
Ron Alexander
843 743-1584
 
 
 Dear Rod, This is wonderful, I have interviewed the Last of the Hogans' Heros a few months ago, the last Pearl Harbor Survivor, last week at the Victory House in Walterboro. At the same place I interviewed an 101st Airborne sgt. who parachuted into Normandy on Dday, and then fought with Patton as an infantryman helping protect his tanks. I have interviewed a Medic from Okinawa, who resides in palliative care at Charleston VA , also here in Charleston, I interviewed the last of the Chicago Port Disaster, plus a sgt who did dangerous wrap up work in Iwo Jima in a "wild west atmosphere in Iwo Jima and then he had to do same thing in Okinawa. This weekend I have interviews with two women vets in Murrells Inlet nursing home, and a male vet there. and even more...I feel it is urgent as 3 have died recently in Victory House, including another Pearl Harbor Survivor. One 94 y.o. vet has died here in Charleston's VA Hospice, however I got to interview him first thankfully. I have another awaiting in N. Charleston, who was part of 4 Dday invasions in North Africa and then 3 islands in the Pacific. I need help editing and getting the most poignant parts of each interview for a montage documentation. And some of them, I need alots of help, like with the almost inaudible one from Anderson Lakes in Conway. I think he is the last of the Merrell's Marauders. I do have one good volunteer interviewer here in Charleston area, and will be training two more from Conway this weekend. From Conway, my helpers are a 101 Airborne vet from Vietnam, and his Red Cross wife. What I don't have is a good editor, so being a volunteer myself, I cannot afford a professional one.   looking forward to meeting you,   Ron Alexander
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment